Friends of Gillespie (FoG) is our Parent-Teacher Association and all Gillespie parents, carers and staff are automatically members.
FoG is a charitable association that raises funds to help support additional extra-curricular activities that the children can experience as they move through the school.
- subsidising or funding of class trips for each year group;
- buying special equipment and books for music, art and science;
- visits by drama, history or music groups;
- enabling special activities such as the school Christmas outing.
FoG Parent Handbook
Get in touch
You can keep up to date with FoG by joining our Facebook group (search ‘FOGillespie’ and request to join) and following us on Twitter@FOGillespie. Join Classlist to access the FoG Handbook for parents and connect with class parents. You can email the school office to be put in touch with the current FoG chairs for more information.
What can parents do?
Gillespie’s foundation is its community and we need your support. We always welcome parental participation and contributions, and there is a role for everyone, whether you are practical, administrative or creative. If you are unable to give time, there are other ways you can support.
- Volunteering to organise or run events
- behind the scenes planning and prep can include finding raffle prizes, collating artwork, sorting out second-hand uniform, setting up stalls or collecting supplies
- Participation can include running a tombola, handing out popcorn on movie night, bringing in a dish for International Food Day or helping to tidy up at the end of the quiz.
- Applying for funding grants to meet specific needs – examples include funding for the trees planted outside the school frontage, or for play equipment.
- Collecting feedback from other parents
- Putting forward new ideas for fundraising from community or businesses
- Acting as a class representative
What does FoG do?
FoG raises funds and helps create social and community connections through events and activities.
There is usually one main event each term:
Winter term: Halloween Disco & Winter Fair – events with music, food and fun for all children. Parents can provide cakes or baked goods for sale, and help to run the event.
Spring Term: Parents Quiz Night – a night of quizzing, food and fun for the parents! The quiz has an entrance fee that can include food from a local restaurant, with drinks and snacks available
Summer Term: Summer Fair – includes a range of stalls such as the tombola, cake stall, craft and story-telling, sports, food and drink, and the raffle supported by local business.
FoG has two chairs that are appointed for two-year terms. Terms overlap so that there will always be one experienced Chair.
Chairs are elected by the parent body at the Annual General Meeting (AGM). There are two other elected roles, treasurer and secretary.
FoG’s charitable association has four trustees, including parent representatives.
When changes to formal or trustee roles occur, parents are notified via the school newsletter and all are encouraged to apply.